Skip main navigation

Church Buildings Dedications in South Africa (up to 1970)

Dedication of Early South African Church Buildings

Church Buildings Dedications in South Africa (up to 1970)

Church Buildings Dedications in South Africa (up to 1970)

On the occasion of the dedication of the Johannesburg (Ramah) chapel during October 1958, the mission president, President Glen G. Fisher, wrote the following:
“This is not the end, we are still building.  The future holds great promise for our Mission, more chapels to be built, increased membership, new branches, intensified activity; what a challenge for all of us.  With five beautiful chapels in the Union (of South Africa), our Church has been given status and permanency.”


“This is not the end, we are still building.  The future holds great promise for our Mission, more chapels to be built, increased membership, new branches, intensified activity; what a challenge for all of us.  With five beautiful chapels in the Union (of South Africa), our Church has been given status and permanency.”

Those five chapels were Mowbray, Johannesburg, Springs, Durban and Port Elizabeth.  The chapels below are listed chronologically by dedication date.

City

Location

Dedication Date

Dedicated by

Position of Leader

Source

Johannesburg

395 Commissioner Street

1st February 1925

President J. Wyley Sessions

Johannesburg Mission President

Journal History of the Church 12 Feb 1925

Cape Town

Cnr Main & Grove Rd Mowbray

Property and buildings bought 17th Oct 1916.

It was newly built and dedicated on 26 Dec 1937

Legrand P. Backman

Mission President

Evan P. Wright;

Clive Nichols, “Early South African Church History – Timeline

Springs

23 11th Street, Springs

11 July 1954

Leroy H. Duncan

Johannesburg Mission President

Cumorah Southern Messenger (CSM) July 1954 Issue, pg. 115

Johannesburg

1 Hunter Street

5th October 1958

Elder Harold B. Lee

Apostle

Original dedication program

Durban

144 Silverton Str, Berea

12th October 1958

Elder Harold B. Lee

Apostle

Original dedication program

Port Elizabeth

40 Prospect Rd, Warner

14th October 1958

Elder Harold B. Lee

Apostle

Original dedication program

Bloemfontein

March 1961

Hugh B. Brown

Apostle

Evan P. Wright 1944-1970 pg. 326

Krugersdorp

62 Paul Kruger Drive, Monument

Opening – 30 Aug 1964

Dedication – 24 Sep 1966

James A. Cullimore

Member of the Quorum of the Seventy

Ken Powrie Papers ZA-01-00027; Dedication program.

Welkom

Cnr Otheloo & St. Helena

Welkom

8 Sep 1967

Mark E. Petersen

Apostle

CSM Aug 1967 Pg. 199 & Sep issue

Klerksdorp

6 Korah Tamanie, Flamwood

Klersdorp

10 Sep 1967 AM

Mark E. Petersen

Apostle

Ken Powrie Papers ZA-01-00027; Newspaper clipping & CSM

Germiston

Cnr Sinclair & Webber Roads

Lambton

Germiston

1 Sep 1969

Boyd K. Packer

Assistant to the Twelve

Church Newspaper 27 Dec 1969

Pietermaritz-burg

321 Alexandra Rd.

Scottsville

Pietermaritzburg

2 Sep 1969

Boyd K. Packer

Assistant to the Twelve

CSM Aug issue pg. 212

East London

3 Sep 1969

Boyd K. Packer

Assistant to the Twelve

CSM Aug issue pg. 212

Benoni

115 Woburn Avenue, Benoni

6 Sep 1969

Boyd K. Packer

Assistant to the Twelve

Church Newspaper 27 Dep 1969 & CSM

Pretoria

110 Devenish Street, Sunnyside, Pretoria

6 Sep 1969

Boyd K. Packer

Assistant to the Twelve

CSM Aug issue pg. 212

Carletonville

2 Bluebell St.

Carletonville

7 Sep 1969

Boyd K. Packer

Assistant to the Twelve

CSM Aug issue pg. 212

Vereeniging

Grey Avenue, Vereeniging

7 Sep 1969

Boyd K. Packer

Assistant to the Twelve

CSM Aug issue pg. 212