Skip main navigation

Mauritius

Mauritius
Mauritius header.JPG

AT A GLANCE     

AT A GLANCE     
  • First missionaries: 1980
  • Church gained legal recognition: 1985
  • Current number of congregations: 2
  • Current Church membership: 458
  • Nearest temple:  Johannesburg, South Africa

HISTORY OF THE CHURCH IN MAURITIUS

  • 1856    George Kershaw, from South Africa, served as a missionary for two months in Mauritius.
  • 1966   First Mauritian, Sylvie Babajee joined the Church outside the country.
  • 1979   Mauritius came under the direction of the International Mission.
  • 1980   The first full-time missionaries, Preston and Isabelle Gledhill, are assigned.
  • 1981   The first six baptisms were performed.
  • 1982   The Mauritius Branch was organized.
  • 1985   Church is granted legal recognition.
  • 1986   Mauritius becomes part of the South Africa Johannesburg Mission.
  • 1988   Mauritius dedicated for missionary work by Elder Marvin J. Ashton.
  • 1993   Seminary and Institute begin.
  • 1998   Mauritius placed in the Madagascar Antananarivo Mission.