AT A GLANCE
- First Church presence in Ethiopia: 1992
- Church received official legal status: 1993
- Current number of congregations: 6
- Current number of districts: 1
- Current Church membership in Ethiopia: 1854
- Nearest temple: Johannesburg, South Africa
HISTORY OF THE CHURCH IN ETHIOPIA
- 1950-1970: Small groups of foreign Latter-day Saints met in Addis Ababa and Asmara. These Church members and their families worked in Ethiopia in embassies, the U.S. military, and other humanitarian organizations.
- 1985: The Church held a fast and donated money for Ethiopian famine relief. Elder M. Russell Ballard, then a Seventy, and Glenn L. Pace, then managing director of the Welfare Services Department, visited Ethiopia to oversee the Church's donation.
- 1992: Ethiopia became part of the Kenya Nairobi Mission.
- 1993: The Church received legal status on 13 July 1993.
- 1994: The first congregation was organised in Addis Ababa in January.
- 2000: The Book of Mormon was translated into Amharic by Tigist Negash.